A winter storm left numerous homes in the Upper Cumberland area without power. This is setting up a potential deadly situation for residents trying to stay warm.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can take place when using unconventional heat sources such as stoves, grills or generators.
Here’s what you need to know:
CARBON MONOXIDE HAS NO TASTE OR SMELL
Although you can’t see or smell it, it can be extremely dangerous to your health and possibly even fatal.
YOU COULD FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE THE FLU
While it’s tempting to turn on a gas stove or oven, or perhaps climb into a car to warm up, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say those options can be deadly, with more than 400 Americans dying each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you’re suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning you could experience flu-like symptoms such as headache, dizziness or weakness.
The CDC warns that carbon monoxide poisoning can come from a variety of different sources. It is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. Carbon monoxide can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
Citizens should not run cars or trucks inside attached garages, even if the door is left open. People also should not heat their homes with gas ovens or burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
The CDC advises anyone who is running a different heat or power source and is feeling unwell to get to fresh air immediately and call 911.