A former house of worship in Rhea County will be added to the National Register of Historic Places. The First Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church in Dayton was built in 1887, with additions of a cupola on the bell tower before 1920 and classrooms around 1925. A brick church with a limestone foundation, the revival design is seen in the pointed arch windows with tracery stained, arched entry and paneled doors topped by transoms. Located at the edge of Dayton, the building retains its important historic features. First Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church began in 1844 when the Methodist Church split on the issue of slavery. Decreasing membership resulted in the sale of the building and today it is privately owned as used as an event space.