President Donald Trump plans to take part in next week’s second presidential debate in Miami, which will take place less than two weeks after the president contracted the novel coronavirus.
“The President intends to debate,” said Trump 2020 Communications Director Tim Murtaugh.
Murtaugh’s comment came less than an hour after the president left Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he had been receiving treatment for COVID-19 since Friday, and returned to the White House.
The campaign of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden has already made it clear that he will travel to Florida for the next debate.
Symone Sanders, a senior campaign adviser to Biden, said the former vice president is “looking forward” to the October 15, 2020 town hall-style debate in Miami and that he is hoping Trump will be well enough to attend.
The future of the next presidential debate was thrown in jeopardy after the president revealed in the early morning hours last Friday that he and First Lady Melania Trump had contracted the coronavirus. Since Trump’s announcement, numerous members of his White House inner circle and his reelection campaign have come down with the contagion.
Biden, who shared a stage with Trump at last week’s presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio, has tested negative for the virus. Biden will receive another COVID-19 test on Sunday and will continue to do so regularly.