The following is from Cumberland County Sheriff Casey Cox:
“The Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office has received many questions and calls regarding the enforcement of Governor Lee’s Stay At Home executive order during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have attached links to the orders as well as some advice and guidance to assist in answering questions regarding what is classified as essential activities.
Our community quite frequently shows support for the Sheriff’s Office and other public safety agencies, which is greatly appreciated. One of the most common questions asked is “What can we do to support you and other public safety?”. Today, that answer is simple, please STAY AT HOME and pray for those that are on the front lines combating this pandemic. Only be out in stores and in public when absolutely essential, wash your hands frequently and practice proper social distancing. Please be compassionate and understanding of others. Cumberland County is well known for helping our neighbors and others when in a time of need. Now is another one of those times. Usually when bad events occur citizens need help with physical labor or financial assistance. During this time of need it is more simple and just as important to help our family and neighbors. It’s not about you and me, it’s about everyone. To do your part to help our community and protect our citizens please STAY HOME unless absolutely essential.
There are many rumors going around and questions being presented to the Sheriff’s Office.
- Deputies are NOT conducting traffic stops because people are travelling on the roadway and being arrested for violating this Executive Order.
- There is no law requiring social distancing, therefore we are unable to enforce it.
- Residents DO NOT need a letter from their employer to travel to and from work.
- There is NO evening curfew (rumors of an 8pm curfew are false).
- There is NO statewide travel ban; however if travel is necessary people should check with the states/counties they will be travelling through to see if there are any bans or quarantines.
- We are STRONGLY URGING people to COMPLY with Governor Lee’s Executive Order REQUIRING citizens to STAY HOME.
- We are reminding people to STAY HOME unless they need to get food, get medications, go to work, and/or provide a necessary service (such as caring for an elderly parent).
- Any questions regarding the Executive Order can be directed to the Governor’s office: (615)741-2001
Again please use common sense, wash hands frequently, practice proper social distancing, and STAY HOME unless absolutely essential. We are all in this together and each of us need to do our part to protect our citizens. Thank you for caring for about our community and its citizens. Do your part, stay apart. STAY HOME.
Sheriff Casey Cox”