The City of Crossville Water Utility Department is advising home and business owners to take precautions to protect their pipes during cold weather. Exposed water pipes and fixtures can freeze when the temperature dips below freezing. Taking these precautions can help prevent pipes from freezing and breaking:
- Cover your water meter box/lid with a rubber mat or a bail of straw, etc.
- Disconnect hoses from outdoor spigots. It is also a good idea to insulate the spigot with a cover.
- Insulate exposed pipes and backflow preventers.
- Let an indoor faucet drip.
- Know where the water shut-off valve is in the event of an emergency.
- If you do work on your water lines in the home, DO NOT leave the meter box lid off. If you leave the lid off, the service will freeze and damage will occur.
These few steps can help prevent the likelihood of frozen water pipes and expensive repair bills.