A Tennessee man was charged with felony child neglect yesterday after he allegedly left his 23-month-old great nephew unattended inside a hot car in a fast food restaurant parking lot and went to buy cocaine.
Officers say 42-year-old Shawn Barber left the child inside his vehicle outside a Jack in the Box in Nashville. Employees brought the child inside the restaurant, telling police they found him unattended in the vehicle.
Police questioned Barber once he returned to the vehicle. He allegedly admitted leaving the child alone and went to another location to buy cocaine.
The Nashville Fire Department transported the child to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital to be evaluated.
Temperatures reached as high as 90 degrees in Nashville yesterday. The National Security Council reports 47 children across the country perished in hot car deaths so far this year. Last year marked the highest year on record for hot car deaths in two decades after 53 children died from vehicular heatstroke.