Home > Local > STUDY: AT LEAST 1 IN 3 TENNESSEE HOUSEHOLDS STRUGGLE TO AFFORD BASIC NEEDS

STUDY: AT LEAST 1 IN 3 TENNESSEE HOUSEHOLDS STRUGGLE TO AFFORD BASIC NEEDS

///
Comments are Off

A new study has found that 1 out of every 3 Tennessee households struggle to meet their basic needs.

The United Ways of Tennessee released the findings from its ‘ALICE’ financial hardship study, revealing the challenges many working families face.

ALICE stands for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed, and it represents households that work and earn more than the Federal Poverty Level, but who make less than the basic cost of living for the county. These households are unable to afford the basic necessities of housing, food, child care, health care, transportation and a smartphone.

In our area, the study shows 15 percent of Cumberland County is in a poverty. Another 24 percent is ALICE households, making a combined 39% of households in Cumberland County struggle to meet basic needs.

In Roane County, the study indicated a poverty household rate of 16 percent. Another 25 percent is ALICE households, making a combined 41% of households in Roane County struggle to meet basic needs.

Other counties in our area include:

Fentress – 25% poverty, 24% ALICE, combined 49% struggle to meet basic needs.

Pickett – 18% poverty, 22% ALICE, combined 40% struggle to meet basic needs.

Bledsoe – 19% poverty, 35% ALICE, combined 54% struggle to meet basic needs.

Rhea – 22% poverty, 25% ALICE, combined 47% struggle to meet basic needs.

Morgan – 20% poverty, 26% ALICE, combined 46% struggle to meet basic needs.

Loudon – 12% poverty, 22% ALICE, combined 34% struggle to meet basic needs.

HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLDS STUGGLING TO MEET BASIC NEEDS

Bledsoe County – 54 percent

Fentress County – 49 percent

Rhea County – 47 percent

Morgan County – 46 percent

Roane County – 41 percent

Pickett County – 40 percent

Cumberland County – 39 percent

Loudon County – 34 percent

You may also like
DRIVER REPORTEDLY RUNS FROM SCENE OF VEHICLE ACCIDENT IN ROANE COUNTY
PICTURES OF DAMAGE IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY FROM SEVERE STORM
SEVERE STORMS BLAST COVERAGE AREA – DAMAGE REPORTED IN CUMBERLAND, WHITE, FENTRESS AND MORGAN COUNTIES
%d bloggers like this: