A 21-year-old Knoxville man has died from injuries he suffered when he became trapped inside the ventilation duct of a Fort Sanders market for several hours last week, police said.
Kell Gammeltoft died Monday, four days after firefighters extricated him from a vent above the kitchen stove top at the 17th Street Market & Deli, according to a Knoxville Police Department news release.
Authorities were called to the business shortly after 9 a.m. Thursday to find him trapped and screaming for help.
Gammeltoft stated he had been stuck since the early night hours of June 5,” the release states. “During the rescue attempt, Gammeltoft lost consciousness and lost his pulse.
The man was taken to Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, and later transferred to the University of Tennessee Medical Center.
(Photo Credit Knoxville PD)