Chattanooga police report skimmers were found on two ATMs in undisclosed locations earlier this week.
Police say the devices were found inside and outside the machines. They urge the public to look at the ATM paneling and inspect the card reader before using an ATM.
Chattanooga Police Department fraud investigators offer these tips to keep from having your information compromised:
- Check the ATM unit for signs of tampering
- Shake or wiggle any protruding parts of the machine
- When entering your PIN, keep the keypad covered
- Check the keypad to ensure nothing is placed over it that moves
- Look for an ATM inside a bank or within sight of a security camera
- Be wary of anyone loitering by machines
- Check your bank & credit card statements often
If you suspect any skimming devices are present, do not touch the devices. Rather, contact someone at the location of the machine and/or call police.