Home > National News > MALE STUDENT IN CUSTODY AFTER SHOOTING TWO AT INDIANA MIDDLE SCHOOL

MALE STUDENT IN CUSTODY AFTER SHOOTING TWO AT INDIANA MIDDLE SCHOOL

///
Comments are Off

A male student was taken into custody this morning in connection with a shooting at Noblesville West Middle School in Indiana, authorities said.

Noblesville Police Department Chief Kevin Jowitt told reporters Friday the boy was detained following the call of an active shooter (which was received at 9:06 a.m. EDT).

A teacher and a student were injured, he said. The victims were transported to the hospital and their families have been notified. Neither the suspect nor the victims has been identified.

Jowitt said he did not believe there was any further threat to the school but added there had been a threat directed to Noblesville High School, to which many middle-school students were bused following the incident. He said police were monitoring the scene at the school’s campus. A number of agencies, including the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were on the scene investigating the incident.

The suspect reportedly walked into a science classroom with a gun and opened fire, hitting a female. A teacher was able to “swat” the gun from the suspect.

Following reports of the shooting, a number of politicians tweeted their thoughts, including former Indiana governor and current Vice President Mike Pence. “Karen and I are praying for the victims of the terrible shooting in Indiana. To everyone in the Noblesville community – you are on our hearts and in our prayers. Thanks for the swift response by Hoosier law enforcement and first responders,” Pence tweeted.

“Closely monitoring the situation at Noblesville West Middle School. Praying for Noblesville and our whole community,” Rep. Andre Carson said.

Sen. Todd Young said he was in touch with Gov. Eric Holcomb in regard to the incident. “As details continue to develop, please pray for everyone involved,” he tweeted.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, returning from a trip to Europe, issued a statement saying he and other state leaders were getting updates about the situation and that 100 state police officers had been made available to work with local law enforcement. “Our thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible situation,” Holcomb said.

Erica Higgins, among the worried parents who rushed to get their kids, told WTHR-TV she learned of the shooting from a relative who called her at home. “I just want to get my arms around my boy,” she said.

The Indiana State Teachers Association released a statement regarding the incident. “This national crisis has landed in our backyard. We all have a responsibility to keep our kids safe from violence, and it’s unconscionable that they live in fear that one day their school may be next. When is enough, enough?”

Noblesville, about 20 miles northeast of Indianapolis, is home to about 50,000 people. The middle school has about 1,300 students in grades 6 through 8.

The incident comes a week after an attack at a high school in Santa Fe, Texas, that killed eight students and two teachers.


%d bloggers like this: