MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – Three adults and six children were killed in a Memphis house fire Monday morning.
Officials said a 10th victim, a child, was fighting for life at a hospital. Two other children died after being taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition.
Officials said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in an air conditioning unit’s power cord in the living room.
Fire Department Lt. Wayne Cook said the first firefighters who arrived at the scene about 1:30 a.m. saw smoking coming out of the one-story home where the family lived. He said it took about 15 minutes for firefighters to extinguish the blaze.
Investigators said it’s the most deaths in a single fire in the city since the 1920s.
In a news release, the Memphis Fire Department also said the house did have a working smoke alarm.
Officials said the fire caused about $8,000 in damage to the house and another $15,000 to the contents inside the home.
People who knew the victims hugged each other and wept and prayed together outside the house Monday.