Home > National News > GUNMAN WHO SHOT RONALD REAGAN, RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

GUNMAN WHO SHOT RONALD REAGAN, RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

///
Comments are Off

John Hincley, Jr., the man who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan has been released from a Washington mental hospital for good, more than 35 years after the shooting.

A spokeswoman for the District of Columbia’s Department of Mental Health said Saturday that all patients scheduled to leave St. Elizabeths Hospital had been discharged. Hinckley was among those scheduled for discharge.

Sources indicate they saw a hired car pull into the driveway of the Hinckley home at around 2:30 p.m. Officers from the local Police Department chased reporters away.

At the end of July, a federal judge ruled that the 61-year-old Hinckley was not a danger to himself or the public and can live full-time at his mother’s home in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Hinckley will have to follow a lot of rules while in Williamsburg, but his lawyer Barry Levine says he thinks Hinckley will be a “citizen about whom we can all be proud.”


%d bloggers like this: